Have you ever rolled out of bed, stumbled down the stairs, and looked around at your messy house filled with toys that you didn’t feel like putting away last night, knowing it’s just another day and you probably still won’t get the toys put away? Besides never getting the toys put away, you still have to get the lunches made and the piano practice done and on and on and on and on…all within the next hour before you get kids off to school?
I remember when I had this exact morning about 3 years ago, and I remember thinking – “gosh, this sure is fun – said no mom – ever.” But then my thoughts jumped to the fact that already two of my kids are in school all day and I only have one still at home with me. In a few years he will be at school all day as well – and once he is, then WHAT?? What would I do with my time all day long? Yes, for the first week I will eat bon bons and watch soaps all day. Actually, I don’t like either of those things, so I probably won’t do that. The quiet will be nice – but only for a couple days. I know myself well enough to know that I’ll go nuts if I don’t find something to keep me slightly stressed and busy. That’s how I roll – I function so much better on the edge of panic. It’s also how I get a lot done – I fill my days from sun up, to sun down with some type of work, and I tend to be very effective. If I don’t have something to keep me actively busy and full of purpose, I will flounder.
Since I know all of this about myself, and because I’m a planner, 3 years ago I started looking for things I could do to keep busy when all three kids will be in school full time. If you have read my blog for awhile now, you know I’m an entrepreneur at heart, so naturally, I began to think about business ideas and ways that I could earn and save money from home. After a lot of research and prayer, about a year ago I started actively working on a new business that I plan to work on full time when all three kids are in school, and I’m so excited!
If you find yourself in the same place I did, wondering what you’ll do once kids are in school full time and wanting to make or save some money, then here are some ideas for you. I’ve also written a really great eBook, 5 Money-Making Ideas for Stay-At-Home-Moms, that you can download FREE now that explains many of these ideas and even a few more in detail.
- Shop at thrift and consignment stores. Don’t freak out – you really can find some amazing deals at thrift stores for your family and you can save a lot of money. Especially if you shop on their 50% off days! Yes, it takes some work to really look for stuff, and you tend to deal with long lines, but you can find some really great deals! Some of the best deals I’ve found have been on sporting equipment for the kids (especially on cleats) and maternity clothes.
- Sell your stuff at consignment stores. Not only should you shop at consignment stores, but you can sell your used stuff at them as well! I know some mommies who sell enough of their own stuff that they can then use their store credit to turn around and buy whatever they need, and are never really paying out of pocket for clothing!
- Use coupons every time you shop. Join a coupon group where you can share deals and swap coupons. Get your kids involved and have them help you clip coupons! If you get a system down, you can use coupons every week, save money, and not have it take up too much of your time. I explain a lot more about how to do this in another eBook I’ve written, 7 Biggest Mistakes Couponers Make – you might want to download that one as well.
- Have a garage sale. We all know this is a lot of work, but you can make quick money by having a garage sale!
- Start your own business! This is my favorite idea of all – I love to SAVE money, but I also love business and I personally want to earn money. The best way I know to earn money from home is to start a network marketing business. There are so many of them to choose from with great products like jewelry, bags, makeup, energy drinks, etc! It’s all about finding one that fits your lifestyle and has the potential to earn the amount of income you are looking for. Some people just want the free stuff that you get from having a few parties, some people want to earn enough money to make the car payment, and some people want to find a business that replaces their spouse’s income. I was looking for a serious business model, with a company that had ground-breaking products that no one else offered, and that had the income potential to replace my spouse’s income and bring him back home to work with me in business again. I’m so happy because I’ve found it!
Download my eBook for more ideas on how to save and earn money from home – it is possible! I’d love to hear your ideas on how you save your family money or how you make money at home! Please share them in the comments below! Hugs!